I Wrote This Thing. HA HA HA!
I wrote an essay about rape humor. Here’s a tiny bit:
When women respond negatively to misogynistic or rape humor they are “sensitive” and branded as feminist a word that has, as of late, become a catch-all term for, “woman who does not tolerate bullshit.”
So I have some follow up notes, and only some of them are related.
1. Magic Mike sequel, there’s going to be one. See also: God, There is a
2. I’m not angry. Sometimes, I am angry but it is not a chronic condition. Sharing a strong opinion is not the same as being angry. It really drives me crazy to always be accused of being angry. When a woman expresses strong opinions she is an angry feminist. When a man expresses strong opinions he is a critic.
2a. I don’t think you’ve seen me angry yet. You’d remember.
3. One woman expressing an opinion does not mean she is speaking for all women. As such, you don’t need to keep emailing me to tell me about yourself, your wife, girlfriend, fiancée, mother, or sister who enjoys rape humor. I’m glad you/they have found something that makes you/them laugh. I generally speak for myself. Sometimes, others agree. Sometimes, they don’t.
4. If I had the power to get Tosh.0 cancelled, I would use that power for a much better use—keeping One Tree Hill on the air. Get a grip. I really don’t give a damn if that show is on the air or not.
4a. The Wanda Sykes detachable vagina joke IS hilarious.
5.”angry blogger woman”
6. I am mostly not reading the comments. I took a look when there were about 40, I got the gist. I’m the worst, angry feminist, etc. and so on. GOT IT! THANKS!
7. This is what “over it” looks like.
8. George Carlin is a genius. Let’s not compare him to Daniel Tosh.
9. I went on a quick overnight trip to do an editor’s panel at a writer’s conference and one of my co-panelists said, “agents just take more of your money,” and it took all myself control not to say something. People clapped when I said things though and that was nice because of Item 6.
10. I love the word louche.
11. I am feeling Frank Ocean’s Pyramids SO HARD. That song is everything. I hadn’t even heard of the kid before he came out but that song is sexy as hell.
12. I thought Sheila Heti’s dress was cute but what I actually cared about was the awesome book she wrote.
13. I love stand up comedy. I love edgy comedy and irreverence and artistic freedom. I have this one thing I cannot tolerate, and with good reason, and I’m super comfortable with my stance.
14. I am a very funny lady.